This week we have been celebrating Chinese New Year. We read non-fiction books and found out how Chinese New Year is celebrated. Then we thought about what we would like to do. We decided we would like to try some Chinese Food and definitely do a dragon dance! After reading the story of The Great Race we had races in PE. Yusuff was very interested in speaking Chinese so we learnt how to say Happy New Year in Chinese ‘Gung Hay Fat Choy’.
Here is our floor book with all our ideas ….
We tried using chop sticks and learnt about different Chinese foods.
We tasted beansprouts, noodles, dragon fruit, chow chow and Chinese biscuits and snacks
Then we made our dragon. After looking at year 6’s amazing dragon, instead of using fabric the children decided they wanted lots of boxes stuck together.
We stuck the boxes together and then painted and decorated our dragon
Then we went up to the studio, listened to Chinese music and did our dragon dancing!
We had so much fun and we learnt to…
- taste different foods
- talk about how things taste and our likes and dislikes
- work together to make the dragon move
- use non-fiction books to find information
- move to the music, moving our arms up and down and walking forward (very tricky!)
- we learnt about other cultures and ways of life (we loved trying to eat with chop sticks!)
- we learnt about colours and textures as we decorated our dragon